Sunday, September 25, 2016

Fall Salmon At Last

Yesterday we went out fishing in the morning with cousin Al. We were all fishing for the fall salmon. The river looked perfect. The morning air in the woods smelled like autumn. We soon found out though fish weren't interested in lures. Joe switched to night crawlers right away and caught the first salmon, 20 inches, 3 pounds. I was too stubborn to try crawlers and kept catching twigs on my spinners. Lucky I didn't lose any, though I came real close more than once.
Now that Joe pulled his fist salmon of the season, he was itching to catch more. So after lunch Joe and I went back to the Big Hole. Joe with his night crawlers caught 2 nice rainbow trout, 1 was a lake run that was bright pink. Then he caught a bigger salmon, 21 inches, almost 4 pounds. This one fought and took some line and jumped. It was exciting to watch. Me, I kept trying with my spinners of every color, even digging into Joe's tackle box. Fish weren't after any lures. Finally Joe convinced me to try a night crawler, but I soon found it required some skills. I ended up in a snag. All in all, I still didn't lose any of my lures and got to taste a fresh salmon. A good day fishing!
Trout season is coming to a close at the end of the month. We both have this Friday off for the one last day fishing on Apple Creek. I really hope to catch a salmon of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment