Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Trip North

Yesterday we made a trip up north. I (Kayo) had a couple pieces of artwork to drop off for the up coming alumni show. It didn't take much to bribe Joe to come along: a husky burger and local micro brewed beer at Douglass House for lunch (oh, he loves me so)(Yes,Yes I do:). Also Michigan Tech University was having their annual winter carnival. The whole campus and town were filled with snow sculptures.
The picture below is Snoopy sleeping on his house, drunk from who knows how many fishbowls of alcoholic beverages. I think this little sculpture was my favorite. This year's snow sculpture theme was something about games of all sorts. I didn't get lots of particular video game themes... but still they are quite impressive. Just imagine those crazy students working in the frigid cold, even all night before the judging. Some of them are scaled to be like small houses, with amazing details. Only engineers-to-be can create such things.
Pokemon!!
It was a wonderful trip. We had a nice visit with my painting teacher Joyce at her new studio. Also unexpectedly we ran into my old friend Randy at K.Brewing Co. (his second home, we believe) and my other painting professor at one of the snow sculptures. I love visiting this little community with many familiar faces and places... after all that's where we started dating!
The kicker was we didn't go fishing... but somehow got this huge northern pike (measured 32 inch long)!! Joe's dad and brother had gone ice fishing and caught big enough a fish. It turned out that I am the bad luck for them.
Joe got to fillet a northern all by himself for the first time, getting directions over the phone.
Finally we poured ourselves pints of K.B.C. beer to relax for the evening. P.S. Of course, we didn't finish the whole growler last night. We're savoring our seconds right now!!

1 comment:

  1. I want you guys' life!!!! besides the deer eating part.....lol

    ReplyDelete