Thursday, September 18, 2014

Fall Salmon Run Begins

Yesterday was my day off-- that meant after Joe came home from work we could take off for fishing. I wasn't sure if this was a good idea, but I made sushi rolls for a quick dinner with the fish Joe had grilled the night before. Completed with sweet-soy cured fresh roe. Mmm.... I'm sure we had a hint of fish smell when we got to the river.
No fish actions with spinners, but Joe eventually caught his first salmon of the season on a crawler. 18 inches and almost 3 pounds. It is official that the fall salmon run has started! The trees are starting to show more autumn colors now, some yellows and reds.
Joe's gotten quite a case of fishing fever now that he knows salmon are up in the streams. Today after work he took a quick fishing trip back to the Big Hole and was rewarded by the even larger Coho salmon on a spinner. A 22" female with lots of eggs.
As I type this, Joe is sitting at the kitchen table, tediously cleaning the salmon roe, mostly for me to be able to enjoy the delicacy so fresh. At least he is also enjoying the new Leinenkugel Big Eddy seasonal beer that Kozue would be jealous of. And I know I definitely owe Joe another nice 6-pack for cleaning the salmon roe.

1 comment: