Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gyoza from Scratch, Skin and All

Yesterday we had Joe's dad over for teriyaki chicken dinner. I was determined to make some pot stickers, but needed to go out to buy a package of wrappers. I took my chance with a nearer store in the opposite direction from our usual grocery store in the city. Of course, they didn't carry them. And I was too stubborn to drive all the way into town. I decided to make my own gyoza skins, for the very first time.
Mine turned out to be a lot stretchier and soft than the store-bought kind. I probably put a bit too much water. But then, it would have been harder to handle if it were dry. I halved the recipe, too. I couldn't imagine standing there to complete all 40 round wrappers!!

I was really worried my wrappers were too soft while filling and shaping the pot stickers....
But they were GOOD. I mean the slightly chewier wrappers were actually good. Joe's teriyaki chicken was very, very good, too. Still, the three of us easily finished the plate of genuinely home-made gyoza!
For dessert I had baked a WILD apple pie the night before. Made with the bag of wild apples we picked in Ironwood.
Being served a la mode was a very good thing, because wild apples are not quite sweet as store varieties. Like the rhubarb in spring, wild apple picking only comes around once a year, maybe every other year, depending on the weather and condition. I just have to REMEMBER to safely double my sugar for enough fruit to fill my deep pie dish. But who can resist something that fresh and wild? Especially when you can say you picked from the tree yourself!
P.S. It sure feels like autumn....

No comments:

Post a Comment