Saturday, April 28, 2012

Opening Day of Trout Season

Today was the first day of fishing season. Cold enough that paddles were covered with thin ice, which is normal at the end of April. I got to accompany Joe to Apple Creek on this important day, carrying Joe's dad's spirit.
Of course, no fish. The water is too cold for trout, except we could hook lake trout this early in the season. Not today, as we fully expected.
I was surprised I hadn't forgotten my casting skills... though just the moment I thought that, I snagged a lure in the tree branches. Good thing I bought a couple of lures yesterday, along with my fishing lisence. And the highlight of our fishing trip today was the yummy sandwich Joe packed!! It was worth getting up early.
Slowly but surely spring is coming. Marsh marigolds are starting to bloom in warm spots.
And morel mushrooms are up... not everywhere. Joe found one on our fishing trip. Later in the afternoon he and Mark drove 30 miles south to one of the secret spots to find a bag full. Nice ones! Hopefully we can soon report our catching fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment